1. Cream 1 cup butter, add 2 cups sugar gradually, and cream the mixture until it is light.
2. Add 4 well-beaten eggs and beat the whole thoroughly.
3. Sift 3 cups flour with 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, and add it alternately with 2 tablespoons sherry. Add sufficient flour, 1 cup, to stiffen the dough. Chill for several hours.
4. Roll the chilled dough extremely thin and cut it out with cookie cutters in star, diamond, or heart shapes. Put them on a greased baking sheet and bake in a hot oven (450°F) for about 7 minutes.
1. The butter should be softened before beating (creaming).
2. Roll out the dough to 1⁄16 inch thick.
3. The original recipe did not include an icing. To decorate, see this recipe.
Recipe from the The Gourmet Cookie Book, available for purchase here.
Next up: Another great recipe from The Gourmet Cookie Book, Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti.